Saturday, December 09, 2006


Untitled-08, originally uploaded by aesop.


The Be Good Tanyas were good, but the venue made it a little difficult to really get into their music. They've never struck me as really a public-event sort of band. (Which is to say their music seems to me more introspective and intimate). However, I enjoyed the playing, which was as good as anyone and makes me feel like learning to play the banjo, which probably just goes to expose my ancient Southern roots. I think I'd be pretty happy sittin and pickin on the porch, occaisionally marking the time with tobacco-flavoured ejecta.

Wagamama's was great. I had a so-called raw juice (carrot, cucumber, tomato, orange and apple) and edamame (steamed green soya beans), and yasai cha han (fried rice with egg, snow peas, mushrooms, sweetcorn, fried tofu and spring onions. accompanied by a bowl of vegetarian miso soup and pickles), with a cold cold Kirin beer. I love Wagamama's. I always feel that the food has done me good (that's probably the juice talking). I think I also respond to the aesthetic of the place, which is efficient without being too mind-bogglingly wipe-clean (like a McDonald's), and the focus seems to be on the food rather than about how Asian it is (despite being prepared by lanky English guys from Fishponds).

No comments: